MAC

Amid a rising number of coronavirus cases in Ohio and other states in the midwest, the Mid-American Conference made an announcement Thursday impacting all conference teams’ seasons. 

The Conference announced that the start of field hockey, men’s soccer, women’s soccer, women’s volleyball and men’s and women’s cross country will be pushed back to Sept. 3. This makes a consideration for football teams, which do not have games scheduled prior to that date.

“This decision applies to exhibition and non-conference games and will align with the start of the football season, allowing all fall competition to begin at the same time,” according to a press release from the MAC.

The press release did not mention fall golf seasons, as it only pertains to Olympic sports. 

The decision and responsibility to reschedule all non-conference games impacted by this change falls to individual institutions and Kent State’s athletic department came out in full support of the decision.

According to a press release from the MAC, “The decision will provide additional time to prepare for the safe return to competition on an adjusted timeline. We will continue to discuss the impact of COVID-19 on sports in coordination with the MAC to ensure the health and safety of our student-athletes, coaches and staff."