Kent State University announced its COVID-19 plans for the 2022 spring semester in an email to students, faculty and staff Monday.

Face coverings will still be required in all university buildings. It is also strongly recommended that masks be worn outside when social distancing of at least six feet is not possible.

The university will not enforce a physical distance requirement for classes, gatherings or events. 

All students, faculty members and staff must receive a COVID-19 vaccine and report it to the university. If one does not get a shot, they must have an approved exemption from Kent State. 

Those who have received an exemption are subject to regular screening testing. 

All students who will live in university housing will be required to be tested for COVID-19 before they return to campus after winter break. Additional details on that testing will be sent in early January.

The university states that those who fail to comply with these requirements will face disciplinary action. It is unknown at this time what kind of punishment will be enforced. 

There appears to be no consequences for students that fail to get vaccinated, which Kent State originally stated that there would be. 

Kent State is still offering vaccines at DeWeese Health Center on the Kent Campus.

The university also encourages all to get a COVID-19 booster shot for those who are fully vaccinated after booster shots were approved for people 16 years old and older by the Food and Drug Administration. 

Booster shots are available at the DeWeese Health Center.

Jimmy Oswald is a sports editor. Contact him at joswald9@kent.edu