The Inter-Fraternity Council instructed fraternities to cancel all social events because of the coronavirus. 

“The Inter-Fraternity Council is taking the coronavirus outbreak seriously,” IFC Council President Dylan Mace wrote in an email. “In accordance with both Kent State University and Governor DeWine’s recommendation, Kent’s IFC fraternities have been instructed to cancel all gatherings, including social events.” 

Many fraternities typically throw parties this weekend for Fake Paddy’s Day, a celebration that occurs the Saturday before St. Patrick’s Day. Kent Police Lieutenant Michael Lewis said they usually see an increase in Fake Paddy’s Day celebrations every year. However, police expect many students will leave the Kent area in light of the university’s decision to suspend in person classes until April 13. Lewis said Kent Police will be “very prepared regardless” of the number of people who are out in Kent this weekend. 

Lewis also recommended that people who intend to go out for Fake Paddy’s Day should be careful and exercise caution.  

No cases of coronavirus have been associated with Kent State. Four cases have been confirmed in Ohio.

Contact Paige Bennett at pbennet8@kent.edu.