CDCVaccine.png

Two weeks after last vaccination those individuals are considered fully vaccinated.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced new guidelines for those who are fully vaccinated on March 8. 

Being fully vaccinated differs depending on the vaccine the person received, according to the CDC. Those who receive a vaccine are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their final dose.

Once those individuals are considered fully vaccinated, they:

• Can gather indoors with others who are fully vaccinated without wearing a mask.

• Can gather indoors with unvaccinated people from one other household without masks, unless anyone has an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19.

• Don’t have to quarantine or get tested if they have been exposed to someone with COVID-19, unless they develop symptoms or if they live in a group setting, such as a group home or a correctional facility.

Jess Goodwin, a senior journalism major, got her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine March 5. She will be considered fully vaccinated April 6.

These guidelines are not changing Goodwin’s routine: “Personally I still plan on wearing my mask pretty much all the time,” Goodwin said. “A mask has never bothered me, so I still wanna wear it.”

JessGoodwim.jpg

Jess Goodwin will still remain to wear her mask, even once fully vaccinated.

Goodwin does believe giving leniency to those who are vaccinated is a good thing, as long as it is not abused. “I do like the guidelines, but I do feel like people may take it a little too far,” Goodwin said.

Kent State policies have not changed for the community regarding COVID-19. “Our guidance for the Kent State community remains unchanged as we encourage everyone to follow the Flashes Safe Eight,” said Eric Mansfield, assistant vice president of university communications and marketing. 

“I think it’s really smart,” Goodwin said regarding Kent State’s guidelines for COVID-19. “Just because you have the vaccine doesn’t mean that you can’t contract it. You can be asymptomatic and still give it to somebody.”

FlashesVaccine.png

Kent State is encouraging anyone who is eligible to be vaccinated to do so.

Regarding dorming regulations, Kent State is watching new information closely. “For our current planning, we are mapping out hall policies and practices to continue our commitment to physical distancing, face coverings and enhanced cleaning,” said Jill Jenkins, executive director of residence services.

There is still some uncertainty regarding how campus will be affected because of students: “it is too early yet for the university to know how quickly our students will have access to the vaccine,” Jenkins said. 

Kent encourages any students who are eligible for vaccination to do so. Kent State is currently not distributing the vaccine, but Ohio vaccine provider locations can be found here

Information regarding changes in COVID-19 policies on campus can be found here.

Alexandra Golden is a COVID-19 reporter. Contact her at agolde10@kent.edu.