The USG revealed Kent State’s fall concert performer will be the rapper DaBaby, according to a post made on the Kent State USG twitter account

USG fall announcement

DaBaby, aka Jonathan Kirk, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, but raised in Charlotte, North Carolina. He was first noticed in 2017 at South by Southwest, an annual conference and festival of music, film and interactive media.

He was spotted walking around wearing an adult diaper. He began rapping in 2014 under the name “Baby Jesus,” but changed it once he entered the music industry. His 2019 album, Baby on Baby, peaked at #7 on the Billboard 200 chart.

Previous concerts at Kent State took place during other events, such as Blastoff in the fall, Homecoming and Flashfest in the spring. This fall concert will take place during the week of Sept. 15, the same time as Homecoming. There has been no official announcement of the opening act.

Tickets will be available for purchase from the USG website on Aug. 22, and from the MACC box office on Aug. 26. Upper level tickets will cost $15, and lower level tickets will cost $25. Only Kent State students can purchase tickets and are limited to one ticket per student. The concert is Sept. 19, and doors open at 7 p.m.

Marissa Moore is a correspondent. Contact her at mmoor146@kent.edu