It was a tough weekend for Kent State’s young wrestling team as it dropped matches to Ohio University and the University of Missouri.

On Friday evening, the Flashes hosted the Bobcats of Ohio University, but lost the match 26-17.

Despite the loss, sophomore Colin McCracken earned his second Mid-American Conference fall of the season. Fifth year senior Tim Rooney also earned a technical fall in the match.

Wrestling vs. Missouri 1.19.20

Fifth year senior Tim Rooney of Kent State grapples with Missouri's Allan Hart in the 133-lb. match at the M.A.C.C. on Jan. 19, 2020. 

McCracken swiftly dominated his matchup with Ohio’s Jake Walker at 197 pounds. He was able to secure that second MAC fall in a timely 2:36 for the Flashes.

The team’s loss dropped the Flashes to 1-3 against MAC opponents. 

On Sunday afternoon, the Flashes hosted the Mizzou Tigers for a noon showdown at the M.A.C. Center.

Wrestling vs. Missouri 1.19.20

Senior Tim Rooney celebrates with the crowd after pinning Allan Hart of Missouri at the M.A.C.C. on Jan. 19, 2020. Kent State lost the overall match 31-12. 

Junior Andrew McNally and Rooney were both able to earn falls, but Missouri topped Kent State 31-12.

Rooney gave the Flashes the lead to start the match, when he topped Mizzou’s Allan Hart for the pin with just 16 seconds remaining. The pin was Rooney’s 20th victory of the season and improved his MAC record to 4-1. 

Shortly after, McNally was able to get the Flashes back in the win column when he defeated Jeremiah Kent in just 2:56.

Wrestling vs. Missouri 1.19.20

Junior Andrew McNally rides Jeremiah Kent of Missouri during the 174-lb. match at the M.A.C.C. on Jan. 19, 2020. McNally eventually pinned Kent, giving him the victory.

Despite victories from Rooney and McNally, Kent State dropped to 5-9 overall dual matches and 1-4 in the MAC.

The Flashes will be back on the road this Saturday as they travel to Buffalo to wrestle the Bills for a 2:00 p.m showdown.

Contact Nick Pedone at npedone1@kent.edu.