Eastway outside

Students evacuated Eastway’s main dining hall Wednesday following reports of smoke that triggered the fire alarm system. 

“It was a malfunction on one of the triggers, once it detects something it trips,” said Mike Vig, General Manager of University Culinary Services.

The stove hoods in the dining hall have sensors that alert when too much smoke is being produced, and set off the fire alarms. Students in the dining hall were evacuated, however, the students in the dorms attached to Eastway were not. 

Eastway Fan

Fans were placed near the balcony doors of the Eastway dining hall to clear out the smoke on the upper level. 

“We had to evacuate, it’s protocol," Vig said. "The firetrucks usually don’t do anything until they figure [what set off the alarms] out. And we are cooking all day."

The firetrucks that were deployed to Eastway did not need to take action due to the small volume of smoke. Fans were placed outside the dining hall along the balcony as an attempt to get the rest of the smoke out.

Annie Zwisler is managing editor. Contact her at azwisle1@kent.edu.

Zaria Johnson is editor-in-chief. Contact her at zjohns19@kent.edu.

(0) entries

Sign the guestbook.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.