KSU group aids transgender students - KentWired.com: Latest Updates

Welcome!
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

KSU group aids transgender students

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:33 pm | Updated: 12:07 am, Fri Jan 24, 2014.

A recent Pew poll revealed that only 8 percent of Americans personally know someone who is transgender. The KSU Trans*Formers work to shed light on a sometimes-misunderstood faction of the university.

In the LGBTQ community, transgender individuals, people who feel they were born the wrong sex, are usually the least publicized, and many fall victim to misconceptions and discrimination. Kent State has a notably active trans community on campus and members bring an expansive pool of experience, knowledge and unique perspectives to an already diverse student body.

KSU Trans*Formers was founded with the purpose of bringing transgender students together for support and advice. Kieran Raines, an information architechture and knowledge management graduate student, founded the organization last year after realizing the lack of resources on campus for transgender students.

“I think it’s a good way to bring the trans community together, considering the university doesn’t have very transgender-friendly policies,” Raines said.

Raines is gender-neutral and prefers to be addressed with gender-neutral pronouns such as “ze” in place of he and she, and “zir” in place of her and his. Raines is out to most people. However, Raines feels most people don’t understand the gender-neutral identity as well as transgender. Raines is now receiving hormone therapy but doesn’t fit the traditional standards for either male or female.

“If someone can see themselves as a boy and someone can see themselves as a girl, why can’t someone see themselves as neither?” Raines said. “It’s essentially androgynous.”

Raines had gender confusion in high school but didn’t begin using gender-neutral pronouns until two years ago.

“I had been questioning my gender identity and it had shifted from thinking I was a girl, just a weird version of a girl,” Raines said.” I don’t really fit all these standards; I don’t understand what people are talking about when they talk about what it means to be a girl.”

When Raines came out, some friends were hesitant in their acceptance of the decision to use gender-neutral pronouns. One friend refused to use Raines’ preferred name and identification but eventually admitted to being stubborn after Raines explained better.

“Another friend told me that society wouldn’t see or accept my identity and it would never become anything that’s slightly normalized,” Raines said. “Gender is mostly a socially enacted behavior — yes, there are behaviors that are specific to hormones, like men can build muscle easier — but it’s also what we raise people to do that influences gender.”

Micah Kersting, senior English literature and business major, has been a member of the group since it’s creation. Kersting said it’s been an invaluable place of refuge and comfort.

“It’s been a great way to connect with people who share the same experiences with gender problems,” Kersting said. “It’s a safe space to open up about things that — outside of a trans-safe area — you wouldn’t feel comfortable talking about.”

Kersting said the most challenging experience as a transgender student was during a swing-dance class with a particularly intolerant professor. The professor insisted on using Kersting’s birth name from the class roster; Kersting refused to respond to the birth name so was repeatedly marked tardy. Kersting discussed the matter with the professor, but the professor refused to use Kersting’s preferred name. Being marked tardy significantly affected Kersting’s course grade.

“Then we actually start dancing, and she pairs me with the tallest girl in class, and when I have trouble, she comes over and says loudly and deliberately, ‘no, it’s fine. SHE’s doing fine. [Birth name] is doing fine, just give HER a chance,’” Kersting said. “They stressed the female pronouns, refused to use my preferred name even though we had just discussed it mere minutes before and, beyond that, was plain condescending.”

Kersting didn’t return to the class after that. Kersting’s mother worked on campus at the time; Kersting didn’t file a complaint for fear of being outed to her. Kersting has since come out.

Junior physical education major Grace Smith transferred to Kent during a tumultuous time. Smith had told immediate family members about being transgender at a young age, but Smith’s father had been kept in the dark for fear of repercussion.

“He wasn’t the most tolerant of people,” Smith said. “So when I finally told him the summer before college, he told me not to come home until I came to my senses. So I packed up and came to Kent early, and I really found my place here.”

Many of the transgender people Smith spoke with said they knew they were different early on. Smith knew during elementary school after feeling uncomfortable in traditionally female clothing and preferring to play with boys.

“My friends just assumed I was a tomboy,” Smith said, “and I obviously didn’t know what I was feeling at that age so I just ran with it. It wasn’t until I reached middle school that I was told by a teacher I was close with that there was a name for what I was feeling.”

Smith said the most common misconception about transgender individuals is that all are in the process of gender-reassignment surgery, during which one’s genitals are reshaped to reflect the person’s preferred sex. Even if they are, Smith said, there’s more to a person than what’s under one’s clothes.

“I think there’s a fixation on ‘the surgery’ and people are more curious about what my genitals looks like and less about what my experiences have been, who I am and what I have to offer regardless of what gender I identify with,” Smith said.

The Trans*Formers meet Thursdays from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Room 309 of the Student Center.   

Editor’s note: In an effort to remain neutral on the issue of gender pronouns, this story refrains from using gender pronouns. The Stater felt that use of “he” or “she” would be offensive to the transgender community, while use of “ze” and “zir” would be advocating for the transgender community. Therefore, we decided that use of the last name only is ethically right.

Contact Christina Suttles at csuttle1@kent.edu.

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

4 comments:

• nickels posted at 2:09 pm on Sun, Feb 9, 2014.

nickels Posts: 1

I thought this was a very thoughtful article. I don't see many college papers doing this kind of spot lighting for transgender persons so it was good of the author to devote an entire piece to it and promote understanding of the demographic.

The rants from the other people commenting are bizarre and not much more than empty righteous indignation.

• posted at 12:33 am on Sat, Jan 25, 2014.

Posts:

This article mentions absolutely no amab (assigned male at birth) people which Trans*Formers has several of, and these members are very active, important, and gladly welcome in this organization. Also, since gender-neutral pronouns are now suddenly advocating for the trans community, I expect the Stater to not use ANY pronouns in ANY articles they write from here on out, as using binary pronouns is advocating for the cisgender community and the erasure of trans people.

• Becky posted at 9:15 pm on Fri, Jan 24, 2014.

Becky Posts: 1

If the person's that you interviewed gave you their pronouns, I do not understand why you would not use them. By not using a person's prefered pronouns, you are not acknowledging, the person's identities, which is disrespectful to that person. I understand that you were trying to be ethical, you made that clear with the Editor's note of: "Editor’s note: In an effort to remain neutral on the issue of gender pronouns, this story refrains from using gender pronouns. The Stater felt that use of “he” or “she” would be offensive to the transgender community, while use of “ze” and “zir” would be advocating for the transgender community. Therefore, we decided that use of the last name only is ethically right." However, by being "ethical", you were being disrespectful to the people, with whom you interviewed.

• Brad Gregg posted at 8:46 pm on Fri, Jan 24, 2014.

Brad Gregg Posts: 2

"Editor’s note: In an effort to remain neutral on the issue of gender pronouns, this story refrains from using gender pronouns. The Stater felt that use of “he” or “she” would be offensive to the transgender community, while use of “ze” and “zir” would be advocating for the transgender community. Therefore, we decided that use of the last name only is ethically right."

I feel that with this "ethics" clause, you could deny using the preferred pronouns for any member of the transgender community. I would personally be very mad if it was me in the article and this was included at the end. Using preferred pronouns is a matter of respect, not of ethics. This person volunteered their time.

I have been in your articles before. You have used male pronouns with me. How is that not "advocating" in the eyes of your ethics? If you use the preferred pronouns for binary transgender people, then you can use the preferred pronouns for non-binary people.

While you may have met to be respectful, this was not respectful at all. Instead, it just adds to the erasure of non-binary identities and non-binary pronouns. The last thing that the non-binary community needs is more erasure.

Featured Events