Be-You-tiful event

Freshman nursing students Jillian Pratt (left), and Caroline Girard (right) write letters of hope to patients in mental health facilities, Monday, April 22, 2019.

Kent State students crafted blankets, wrote letters and decorated succulents for patients undergoing mental health treatment and eating disorders at the Be-YOU-tiful event.

Some students came to enjoy the body positivity environment while others came to de-stress before finals by creating blankets.

“I want to be helping people with eating disorders and psychological issues so I thought this would be a good thing to expose me to and give me a better understanding,” said Randi Mohr, a sophomore psychology major.

The event also raised awareness about eating disorders, body positivity and the Nightingale Project, the student organization at Kent State that organized the Be-YOU-tiful event.

The organization’s goal is to end negative mental health stigmas and to bring mental health awareness, activities and events to Kent State, said Antonina Schubert, a sophomore early childhood education major and president and founder of The Nightingale Project.

Additional organizations and businesses such as the Peer Body Project, Project Aware, Makeup Madhouse and PINK had tables at the event. Businesses such as Aerie, PINK and Mike’s Place donated raffle baskets for the event.

Half of all the proceeds from T-shirt sales, succulents and positivity mirrors will be donated to the Cleveland chapter of the National Eating Disorder Association.

Jade Critchfield covers health and fitness. Contact her at jjohn232@kent.edu.