Two Kent police officers and a burglary suspect were shot after police responded to a 911 call at 1596 E. Summit St. Saturday morning, according to Administrative Lt. Mike Lewis of the Kent Police Department.

Police

The Kent Police Department is reporting no fatalities after an officer-involved shooting occurred Saturday morning, according to a press release from Lt. Mike Lewis.

A person inside the residence called 911 shortly after 8 a.m. The male suspect, approximately in his 40s, unlawfully entered the home. Two officers were “physically engaged” by the suspect, who was in possession of a firearm, immediately upon arrival. Shots were fired during the physical altercation that ensued between officers and the suspect. 

All parties were transported to hospitals in the area. The two officers sustained relatively minor injuries and are expected to make a full recovery, Lewis said. The suspect was shot in the abdomen and taken into surgery but is expected to be discharged from the hospital soon.

Police at loop

The suspect will be taken into custody by Kent Police and faces charges for aggravated burglary, Lewis said. He may also face charges for felonious assault against police officers and other charges as well. 

In this incident, Kent Police were assisted by the Ohio State Highway Patrol, other area police departments and law enforcement agencies. The Bureau of Criminal Investigation was on the scene and will be conducting the investigation into the officer-involved shooting. 

The suspect has a criminal history and was known to the person inside the home. Police said they are not aware of any relation to students or Kent State University.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available. 

Jenna Borthwick is the digital content director. Contact her at jborthw1@kent.edu.

Connor Steffen is the TV2 News Director. Contact him at csteffe3@kent.edu