Cheryl Casper died on July 21 due to complications of metastatic breast cancer. She was an emeritus professor of economics and served in a number of positions during her 35 years at Kent State.  

Casper served as the Faculty Senate chair for four terms and was the chief negotiator and chair of the negotiations committee in Kent State chapter of the American Association of University Professors, according to her website

In an email to faculty members, the leaders of the Kent State University Department of Economics, Kathryn Wilson; the Kent State University Faculty Senate Executive Committee, Pamela Grimm; and the Kent State University Chapter of the AAUP, Melissa Zullo, shared some words about Casper’s importance to the university. 

“Through her example, women across the University learned that women have voice[s], have power and have the ability to lead. It was an important thing for women in academia to know. But her leadership went beyond example,” according to the email. 

She also served as the assistant dean for undergraduate programs from 1979 to 1981, the acting dean of the College of Business Administration from 1981 to 1982 and the associate provost from 1987 to 1996, according to a previous KentWired story

“Cheryl has been and her memory will continue to be an inspiration for those of us who knew her and who remember, with gratitude and respect, all she did for Kent State University, shared governance and faculty rights,” the email continued. 

Casper is survived by her two stepsons Jeffrey Scott Wenninger and Dorn Robert Wenninger, two granddaughters Solara and Skye Wenninger and two cats Gwyneth and Scotty, according to her obituary

A memorial service will be held Saturday, Aug. 3 at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Kent at 10 a.m.

Rachel Karas is editor of KentWired. Contact her at rkaras1@kent.edu.