Kent v. Illinois 2

Kent State coach Sean Lewis looks toward the scoreboard during Kent State's game against Illinois at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018. The Flashes lost 31-24.

Kent State football announced all football operations will be suspended until April 12 in an attempt to limit the spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus). 

The spring showcase scheduled for April 11 is canceled, and spring practice is suspended until April 12.

"The welfare of our student athletes is always at the forefront of what we do as a program," coach Sean Lewis said in a statement. "We are following the guidance of university administration in making these tough decisions."

Kent State also suspended all recruiting activities scheduled during this time.

"When traditional campus activities resume, we'll see where resuming spring football practice falls in that discussion," Lewis said.

The decision was made by Lewis in conjunction with university administrators.

"I applaud coach Lewis," Kent State Director of Athletics Joel Nielsen said. "It was obviously a difficult call, but ultimately it has the best intentions for the health and safety of our student athletes."

Contact Ian Kreider at ikreider@kent.edu.