President Beverly Warren

Kent State President Beverly Warren talks to members of Kent State Student Media at the TV2 Studio in Franklin Hall on Wednesday, April 19, 2017. 

When Beverly Warren was announced as Kent State's 12th president on Jan. 8, 2014, she pledged to the Kent State community she would have a "24-7, high-energy commitment to this institution and to carry out the ideals you articulated to me so I can see them through to you."

On July 1, 2019, Warren's commitment to Kent State will end, as she announced in an university-wide email Tuesday she will be departing her position as president of Kent State. Warren will not exercise her option to extend for 2020.

Bev retire

"Throughout my professional life, I have been driven to make a difference and to contribute to the transformative power of education to change lives," Warren said in the email. "After spending my career making work my life's priority, I realize the time has come for me to shift my focus to family and personal considerations. This has not been an easy decision."

Warren's time at the helm of Kent State was one defined by great change for the university. Warren was diagnosed with breast cancer in April 2016, and she returned to campus two weeks after having surgery. 

In March, Warren and the Board of Trustees approved Kent State's 10-Year Master Plan, a process of new buildings and renovations at Kent State. 

Warren's most recent public appearance came on Oct. 8, 2018, at Kent State's Faculty Senate meeting, where she touched on the recent open-carry gun walk.

"From the bottom of my heart, I thank you for allowing me to share these special years together with each of you," Warren said in the email. "Together, we are Golden Flashes Forever!"

In prior emails to the Kent State community, Warren addressed her emails as "Beverly J. Warren."

This email, she simply signed as "Bev."

Henry Palattella is the editor. Contact him at hpalatte@kent.edu