Kent State wrestling snapped its three-match losing streak on Saturday against the University of Buffalo. 

The highlight of the win for the Flashes was fifth-year senior Tim Rooney defeating Buffalo’s Derek Spann at 133. Rooney started the match strong and was able to hold off Spann for a 6-4 victory.

Rooney is ranked No. 17 in the nation amongst his weight class. Coach Jim Andrassy suspects Rooney could move up to the top-ranked wrestler in the Mid American Conference. 

“He’s come such a far way in five years,” Andrassy said. “He does a lot of the right things and he’s been really good for us.”

Junior Andrew McNally also earned a technical fall which gave the Flashes a bit of a cushion in the victory.

The win improved Kent State’s overall record to 6-9 overall in duals and 2-4 in the MAC. 

“Our two best wrestlers really stepped up,” Andrassy said of the victory. “There was really a lot of great things that happened this weekend.”

On Saturday, Feb. 1, Kent State’s wrestling team will wrap up its home slate by honoring its seniors with a pregame ceremony when the team hosts the Vikings of Cleveland State at 7 p.m.

Contact Nick Pedone at npedone1@kent.edu.