Competing for a full 60-minute game has been a focus of the team all season long, but it has struggled to get the puck to bounce in its favor. 

Coach Jim Underwood said that a lack of preparation outside the rink played a factor in the team’s 4-0 loss to Calvin College Friday night.

“Our first period was not our best period,” Underwood said. ”I’m concerned about what we did to prepare for the game. The guys have to reevaluate how we prepare for the game. We lost that game in the first period.”

The team competed hard for a full 60 minutes Saturday night against Calvin College but was unable to fight back and lost 4-3 Saturday night.

“We took another step towards our progress,” Underwood said. “We proved to ourselves that we can compete at a high level with teams that are ranked in the top 15 in our country.”

The team will play its next home game Friday night against Adrian College.

“We are prepared to play a lot of hockey in our defensive zone this weekend,” Underwood said. “It’s going to have to be a solid defensive team effort against Adrian. They’re ranked number one in the country, and have a very high powered offense.”

Contact Dana O'Black at doblack@kent.edu