Woodsy's_Kent Picture 1

Woodsy's Music Staff Helping a Customer in the new 118 E. Main St. Location.

Local music store Woodsy's Music expanded to a second building in Downtown Kent after opening a satellite location in Medina, Ohio. The expansion is “to accommodate both customers and supplies” said Paul Braden, owner of Woodsy’s Music.

Braden said that the main reason for the expansion was to provide better service. “We wanted to better serve all the local school districts in Portage and Summit County,” Braden said.

Woodsy’s Music is a big supporter of the local schools “as it is a big part of the business” Braden said. The store offers lessons and rent-to-own instruments along with repairs.

Woodsy’s opened in Kent in June 1972 and started as a repair shop “when the opportunity came around to do repair work.”

Braden went to school at Kent State University and graduated before opening the first location in Kent.   

Woodsy's_Kent Picture 2

Wall of brass instruments at Woodsy's Music's new location on 118 E. Main St. for band instruments and repairs.

Woodsy’s works with Kent State students and staff from the School of Music with instrument repairs, said Braden. Several of the instructors for music and voice lessons at Woodsy’s are Kent State alumni as well.

Braden said running both the stores can be hectic, but it is all “digitally linked together” to make it easier. “We’ve got a good crew for both spots, so I’m hoping that it will be easier to go.”

Woodsy’s Music is located on 135 S. Water St., and 118 E. Main St in Kent and 110 W. Liberty St. in Medina.

Marissa Moore is a correspondent. Contact her at mmoor146@kent.edu.