A wall heating unit caught fire outside the second floor kitchen in the Student Center Wednesday. 

Kent Fire Lt. Craig Peeps told the Record-Courier at approximately 6 p.m. Wednesday, crews were notified of the fire. Employees were able to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher before crews arrived.

Kent State University put out a KSU advisory around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday stating the fire was “immediately extinguished by the fire suppression system.”

Peeps told the Record-Courier the suppression system was actually activated in the kitchen and was separated from the extinguishing of the heating unit. 

The Student Center reopened successfully Thursday at 7 a.m. Student Center employees were told to report at their scheduled times, unless otherwise directed by a supervisor.

Contact Gina at gbutkovi@kent.edu.

(0) entries

Sign the guestbook.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.