Kent State football is finally gearing up for their delayed 2020 season.

This season is anything normal, with the players getting tested for COVID-19 four times per week.

Isaac Vance, a junior receiver, was one of the players actively pushing for the Mid-American Conference to reverse its decision so Kent State could play football this fall. 

Even though the MAC is back, off the field, Vance’s advocacy for causes he supports hasn’t halted. He’s a mental health advocate, especially among athletes.

“Athletes are supposed to be tough; that’s a part of the game, especially football,” Vance said on this week’s Flash Point podcast.

The MAC has encouraged athletes to speak out and work as allies in order to destigmatize mental health issues among their audience and fanbase. On the conference’s Twitter, @MACSports, they have shared powerful quotes from their own athletes, as well as professional athletes who have dealt with mental health issues.

Isaac even went on the conference’s podcast “Call to MACtion” to talk about mental health awareness.

“Being tough is also about being smart,” Vance said. “There’s no reason to be high-strung 24/7. I want people to know that, really.”

To hear more from Isaac on mental health in sports, why he chose football over baseball and his favorite ice cream toppings, check out the Flash Point podcast on KentWired.

Nicholas is a sports reporter. Contact him at npedone1@kent.edu.

SUPPORT STUDENT MEDIA 

Hi, I’m Lauren Sasala, a senior journalism student from Toledo. I’m also the editor in chief of The Kent Stater and KentWired this semester. My staff and I are committed to bringing you the most important news about Kent State and the Kent community. We are full-time students and hard-working journalists. While we get support from the student media fee and earned revenue such as advertising, both of those continue to decline. Your generous gift of any amount will help enhance our student experience as we grow into working professionals. Please go here to donate.