Our view logo

As Hurricane Dorian hits the Bahamas, there have been protocols put in place along the Eastern seaboard. As of 7 p.m. on Monday, there are reports of at least five people dead. While we work in the Midwest and our focus is on the happenings of Ohio, there is a crisis happening beyond emptied Walmarts and gas stations. As the storm progresses further inland, we send our thoughts and best wishes to those near the coast who are struggling with the effects of the storm. As the environmental impacts of corporations and people leave unchangeable impacts on the future of the planet, we feel a need to look into the catastrophe unfolding and what brought us to this point. Global warming brings devastating impacts to our environment, including the intensity of hurricanes. Between the years 1971 and 2010, the oceans have taken in almost all of the excess energy created by global warming, absorbing 93 percent of the increase in the planet’s energy inventory, according to the Climate Science Special Report. These catastrophes are horrible for everyone involved and global warming is at the root of the problem. There has to be a change, and it needs to happen soon.