Tony Snyder

Kent State librarian Tony Snyder in his Holly Park apartment unit Friday, January 24, 2020. 

Kent State University librarian Tony Snyder calls his Holly Park apartment unit home. Tony has the same disability as me; cerebral palsy. He does not let it slow him down. He has lived in Holly Park, an apartment complex in Kent, since October 2008 and he hasn’t found a reason to leave yet. 

Tony provided this advice for anyone with a disability who is looking for the right place for them. 

Q: What are the advantages of Holly Park? 

A: “Holly Park has a great staff and my unit has lots of space,” Snyder said. “It’s also a short commute to campus. The commute is short enough that I can get to work in my power chair during most weather.” 

Q: Why do you stay at Holly Park? 

A: “I stay because the staff is welcoming, accommodating and friendly,” Snyder said. “Any issues that I’ve had have been dealt with quickly and courteously. The office and maintenance staff are both top-notch.” 

Q: What advice do you have for people with disabilities who are looking for somewhere to live? 

A: “Don’t be afraid to ask questions and advocate for yourself,” Snyder said. “Also, as soon as you know you’ll need an apartment, start looking early so you’re not scrambling as the semester begins. Finally, build relationships with the staff.” 

Tony’s apartment allows him to live without limitations. I went over to his apartment last month to watch a hockey game and I have to say that he has a pretty cool crib.

Contact Michael Reiner at mreiner4@kent.edu.