Junior Sydney Washburn won Mid-American Conference Offensive Player of the Week as the Kent State field hockey team maintained their No. 23 rank.

Washburn is the third KSU player to win the award joining teammates Katie Wuerstle and Jenna McCrudden.  

This is KSU’s third straight week being ranked at No. 23 after double-overtime victories against No. 25 Maine and Ohio University. 

Washburn had two goals in the double-overtime victory against OU. Washburn scored late in the first period, giving Kent State the 1-0 lead.

Kent State expanded its lead after a goal from Clara Rodriguez Seto in the fourth period. The Bobcats went on to tie the game with consecutive goals. Washburn then deflected a shot from Wuerstle into the net for the win. 

Kent State is now 1-0 in the MAC while improving their overall record to 5-2. 

The Flashes look to keep the rank as they travel to Central Michigan to take on their second MAC opponent of the year on Friday. From there, KSU will travel to take on the number one team in the country, University of Michigan, on Sunday. 

Jacob Hansen is a reporter. Contact him at jhanse14@kent.edu