Kent State’s women’s basketball team extended its winning streak to five games with a 70-61 win over Ball State University on Saturday. 

Associate head coach Fran Recchia took over the role of head coach for the game because head coach Todd Starkey tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this week.

In honor of Senior Day, senior guard Margaux Eibel and senior forward Monique Smith started for the Flashes.

Kent State’s defense held Ball State to nine points on 3 of 13 shooting in the second quarter and outrebounded the Cardinals 43-33.

The Flashes were led by sophomore forward Nila Blackford with 20 points and 11 rebounds (her fourth double-double on the season), freshman guard Casey Santoro and junior guard Hannah Young with 12 points each and junior forward Lindsey Thall with 11 points.

Santoro played a season high 33 minutes after junior guard Mariah Modkins left the game in the second quarter with an injury. 

The Cardinals had three players in double-figures: senior forward Oshlynn Brown with 16 points and 13 rebounds, redshirt sophomore guard Anna Clephane with 14 points and sophomore guard Sydney Freeman with 11 points. 

Kent turned the ball over 12 times which resulted in 16 Ball State points and the Cardinals turned the ball over eight times resulting in only four points for the Flashes. 

The Flashes stand at 5 -2 (4-0 MAC) and will look to continue their winning streak Wednesday in Akron at 6 p.m. against the University of Akron (4-4,1-4 MAC).

Kathryn is a sports reporter. Contact her at krajnice@kent.edu.