Isaiah McKoy Kent Football.JPEG

KSU wide receiver Isaiah McKoy (23) runs back down the field after scoring a touchdown against Akron. Nov. 17, 2020.

At least one more Kent State football player has a chance to play in the NFL this year, after Isaiah McKoy was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

A 2020 Mid-American Conference first-team selection, McKoy was Kent’s top receiver the last two seasons, leading the team with 56 catches for 872 yards in 2019 and 25 receptions and 455 yards during the COVID-19-shortened 2020 season.

Kent State at Arizona State, Aug. 29, 2019

TEMPE, AZ - AUGUST 29: Kent State Golden Flashes wide receiver Isaiah McKoy (23) catches a touchdown pass during the college football game between the Kent State Golden Flashes and the Arizona State Sun Devils on August 29, 2019 at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

The Brooklyn native waived his remaining eligibility to take a shot at the NFL following his junior campaign, but was seen as a longshot to be selected in the 2021 NFL Draft following a disappointing Pro Day performance, where he ran a 4.58 40-yard dash.

He was ranked as a 5.69 out of 8 as a prospect by the NFL.

Despite that, McKoy’s production and athleticism were enough to see him signed by the Steelers on Saturday, May 1.

McKoy totaled 16 touchdowns and 1,750 receiving yards in his three seasons at Kent, and was the Flashes’ primary deep threat in 2020, averaging 18.2 yards per reception.

The biggest issue in McKoy’s game is his ball-catching ability, as according to The Athletic he had a drop rate of 16.9 percent in 2020.

He faces a tough path to making the final Pittsburgh roster, as the Steelers have a deep wide receiver core.

But Steelers’ coach Mike Tomlin has shown an affinity for MAC players in the past, and McKoy has shown a history of finding success despite the challenges.

Owen MacMillan is a sports reporter. Contact him at omacmill@kent.edu.