MAC Tourney Baseball 2

Kent State third baseman Pavin Parks swings Friday during the Flashes' 7-2 win over Miami (OH). Kent State won their 12th MAC Championship Saturday with a 14-0 win over the Redhawks. 

Four members of the Kent State baseball team were selected during the 2018 Major League Baseball draft. Pitchers Joey Murray and Austin Havekost were drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays, while the San Diego Padres selected third baseman Pavin Parks. Lastly, the St. Louis Cardinals picked pitcher Eli Kraus.

The Flashes’ season ended with a loss to Louisville on June 3 in the NCAA Lubbock Regional elimination game.

• Murray was selected in the eighth round by the Toronto Blue Jays. During the Flashes’ NCAA Lubbock Regional game on June 1 against Louisville, he broke the Mid-American Conference single-season strikeout record with 141 strikeouts and was named the MAC pitcher of the year in 2017 and 2018. Murray is 19-7 in three years with the Flashes. 

• Havekost was selected in the 17th round by the Toronto Blue Jays. Havekost recorded a 3.04 ERA and 31 strikeouts in 13 appearances on the season.

• Parks was selected in the 24th round by the San Diego Padres. He was named to the All-MAC Second Team for 2018. The pitcher, who transferred to Kent State from Seminole State, recorded 54 walks on the season, which was good for fourth in MAC history. According to a tweet from the official Kent State baseball Twitter account, Parks will be returning for his senior season.

• Also, Kraus was selected in the 24th round. He was drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals and finished with 26 wins during his time at Kent State, which is tied for the most in Kent State history. Kraus threw a complete game three-hitter in the MAC Tournament title game against Miami (OH) on May 26.

Ariel Stahler is a sports reporter. Contact her at astahle1@kent.edu.