Kent State (4-3) women’s field hockey beat Saint Louis University (0-6) 5-0 Sunday to get its first road win of the season.

The Flashes got off to a strong offensive start with sophomore midfielder Helena Cambra Soler scoring the team’s first goal early in the first period.

“We played our game, stuck to the game plan, stayed composed throughout the whole game, and capitalized on opportunities when we had them,” coach Kyle Desandes-Moyer said. 

Kent’s second goal came in the third period and was scored by senior forward Kortney Keller.

“We had five different goal scorers today and certain people (Helena Cambra Soler, Kortney Keller and Sydney Washburn) picked up their first goals of the year, so that gave them some confidence because they were able to score their first ones of the year,” Desandes-Moyer said.

The Flashes took 12 shots in the fourth period resulting in three goals scored by freshman forward Claudia Ortiz, junior back and midfielder Clara Rodriguez Seto and freshman forward Sydney Washburn.

“The fourth period was very exciting and there was a ton of energy and a lot of different people contributing and it was just fun,” Desandes-Moyer said. “That was one of our goals for today was to have fun as a team and that involves scoring goals and we definitely accomplished that.”

Defensively, Kent held Saint Louis to four shots and junior goalie Azure Fernsler recorded two saves on the afternoon.

“Next weekend going against two ranked teams we are going to need to be a little bit more disciplined defensively,” Desandes-Moyer said.

The Flashes will be back in action on the road Saturday, Sept. 21, at 1 p.m. against No. 7 University of Iowa (4-2).

Kathryn Rajnicek is a sports reporter. Contact her at krajnice@kent.edu.