Kent State Women’s field hockey team defeated Saint Francis University with a final score of 5-2 in their home opener Friday.

The Flashes played an outstanding defensive game, holding Saint Francis to just two goals on six shots. Junior goalkeeper Azure Fernsler had three saves.

“The thing that stood out to me the most is that we put forth a game plan and the team really stuck to that,” coach Kyle Desandes-Moyer said.

Kent State’s offense did not pick up until the second period when sophomore forward Luisa Knapp scored the game’s first goal. 

Lisa Knapp_MG_8088.jpg

Sophomore forward Luisa Knapp drives toward the goal. Kent State beat St. Francis University 5-2 on August 30, 2019.

“It was great seeing a lot of different contributors scoring goals,” Desandes-Moyer said. “Luisa Knapp had two and Ashley Bonetz (scored) her first ever collegiate goal.”

Freshman midfielder/forward Caitlin Holland and junior midfielder Hailie Balachick each scored one goal in the second half to give the Flashes five goals in the afternoon.

“I think going into Sunday’s game, playing Michigan State, we’re just going to have to play at a little bit higher level with a little bit more tempo and have a little bit more organization on defense,” Desandes-Moyer said.

Kent State is back in action Sunday at 1 p.m. against Michigan State University.

Kathryn Rajnicek is a sports reporter. Contact her at krajnice@kent.edu.