More in The Silent Struggle

In early April, the School of Theatre and Dance hosted a three-day festival that showcased completely student-run productions, covering a range of subjects. The festival featured four plays. The first three included everything from musicals to comedies — it even had a small one-act play abou…

I was 5 years old when I first thought the world would be a better place without me. I was 5 years old when I decided that I did not want to be me anymore. I didn’t want the burden of being inside my own brain and I surely didn’t want anyone else to feel the burden of knowing me.

On the night of the election last November, Kent State junior political science major Haley Foster went to sleep before the results were broadcast across the nation, with the states on the map turning blue or red as the votes were counted.

Anxiety isn’t just excessive worrying, and it’s not easily described as it appears in pieces titled something like “Top 10 Things People with Anxiety Want You to Know.” Neither is depression or any other internal struggle. 

Since September 2013, there have been 33,332,285 texts into the national Crisis Text Line at 741-741. Texts about anxiety, depression, family issues, self-harming, and suicide are answered any time of day by a volunteer crisis counselor, at no charge to the texter.

Social media usage appears to be a factor in the mental health of 18-to 24-year-old adults and is increasingly becoming a part of the equation for the rate at which they develop disorders and seek out services.